Monday, September 8, 2008

Pssst, Are You Sleeping?

That's what the voice (voices?) whisper to me some nights.

Hey lady, are you sleeping? it sneers.
I'm trying too, I say.
Why bother? it laughs. I am relentless.

Then the barrage comes in a totally random order, starting innocently, harmlessly -- wait? what time is the doctor's appointment? -- and ramping upwards -- birthday presents, weeds, cousins, eating habits of nine year olds, bumper stickers, agendas, practice schedules, phone calls, yoga, ants. Unflinchingly, it drones on, while the whole house sleeps.

I consider plodding downstairs. Think about making a list. Unloading the dishwasher. Picking a paint color once and for all. But its dark and quiet and what if when I flip a switch, so I don't die tripping over some misplaced fire truck or fort material, the light just shakes me out of sleep completely. And what if there's a bulb missing and where are the extra bulbs/I know I bought some/were they the green kind?/the twisty ones/or old school and is global warming really real and I should read something unbiased about that/I should read more/like a book/ohmygod!/book group.

So I roll over, flip the pillow. Wonder what everyone is dreaming about. Hear someone sigh down the hall.

Then: name tags. God, I hate name tags. They look so lame, so lamely official, and I never know where to put them: above the boob, on the boob, between the boobs? And what if I forget to take it off and run around for hours all HELLO! I'M a Loser? Because I've done that and it sucked. But still, I should get some for that thing on Thursday at the school with cookies (!!) and sign up sheets. I like cookies. And if I have a name tag, maybe someone will sign up for something. Which would be good. Maybe instead of platters of cookies, we should have platters of money. People like money. Why do I never have any in my wallet yet my daughters collect cash like... like cash collectors?

Consider getting into the lemonade stand business. Consider lemonade in general. It's good with iced tea, but otherwise, not so much. AM I STILL AWAKE? What time is it? And I'm tired. Roll over. Take deep breath. Sigh.

And Mad Men? Why can't that show be on teevee 24 hours a day? Because Don Draper is sort of hot and the whole thing is so subtle and genius and did it mean something more when they dumped all their picnic trash on the lawn at the park? Mean something more than bad manners and litterbug-ishness? Like maybe a symbol of their impending arrogance, their ascendence to another, wealthier class? I mean, she shook out the blanket and just flung the debris all over the place! Did people do that in the 60s? I don't think my mom did that. We cleaned up washed-up garbage along the beach in the 70s, after all. Remember that sand cake I once made her? The one I decorated with discarded plastic playtex tubes as candles? Gross. I should ask her about that.

Snoring is really kind of funny, if you think about, if you listen to it long enough.
Yawn. Roll over. Pull up covers... And finally, finally, FINALLY: sleep.

This day will be fueled by buckets of caffeine. And nametags: HELLO I'M sleepy.

18commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...

Dude you should have called me. Or texted me. Or emailed me. I was up from 4 - 6:30. WTF crazy brainwaves?

for a different kind of girl said...

Amen. Seriously. I would dream of a day when I could go to bed on the same day I woke up, but seriously, dreaming requires sleeping and I have slept for crap lately!

Lipstick Jungle said...

I woke up at 4:47 and by the looks of the bags I am carrying under my eyeballs, I should have quit reading at 10 rather than 12. I hate Mondays. And I hate when my brain finds new things to obsess over when I should be sleeping.

My name tag is a bit crooked today. Do you think they will notice I am sleeping at my Board Meeting?

Pillow, blanket, sleepless brain - why oh why must you be deceitful on a Monday of all days?

Meredith said...

You, Carolyn and i ALL could have convened in the middle of the night. I watched DVR'd Chelsea Lately at 4:30 am.

Nothing like a sleepy Monday.

My name tag reads 'I'm sleepy too but brain not functioning nearly as eloquently as Ms. Picket's who did a great job describing the middle of the night head chatter'

Leslie said...

Yawn!!!

I had no sleep this weekend either but, for once, it wasn't my brain-chatter's fault. :)

Nash's Mom said...

WTF, I tossed and turned all night, too! Switched places with Nash at 2:38. Let him sleep with snoring dad and I'll take your bed all to myself. Perfect, right? Wrong. Didn't help. What was it?? I've been to Starbucks THREE times today. Seriously. Which also means I probably won't sleep tonight either.

We should totally have a blogger chat room somewhere for future sleepless nights.

Aimee said...

We are partners...I was up from 4-5 over thinking everything this morning. Uggg!

Anonymous said...

Weird. I was up at 4am myself today.

Maybe we should make sure no pyramids in Egypt disappeared or some strange alien shit like that...


I'm totally with ya on the nametags, by the way. My boobs are not small, so I always feel like the nametag is the visual equivelent to a large horn going off every 10 seconds...

AAAH OOOOOOOOGA!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Oh no. The Sleepless Day. I am sorry. I hope you sleep tonight.

Aimee said...

Also...I'm doing a little linky love to your Palin posts.

unmitigated me said...

School is beating the crap out of me, so I sleep great these days. I just don't want to get up.

Jen W said...

I hate that feeling when everyone else is asleep but you.

Amy said...

I left a comment on someone's blog last night at 3.30 in the morning cause i had nothing to do. I could have started my day at 2.45 am. That would of sucked. I am trying to combat that with a little red wine tonight. We'll see. Good luck to you too,

patty said...

I should have seen it coming the summer my father and I did jigsaw puzzles until the wee hours as we watched Twilight Zone reruns.

I suffer (and I do mean suffer) from periodic insomnia.

If you're looking for someone to IM between 2 and 4 a.m., I am often your gal.

Heather said...

Insomnia is so hard to explain to people who don't suffer from it. They give me medication.

Elizabeth said...

oh, I love love love Mad Men. We got the first season on dvd and wanted to watch the whole thing marathon style. We don't have cable so we have to wait a long long time until season 2 comes out on dvd. I want to go back to those times when everyone smoked and drank and ate meat and drove around in cars with no seatbelts and we didn't worry about the consequences. We're just too careful these days-live dangerously I say!

How to Party with an Infant said...

That is the absolute worst. For me, lack of sleep=utter uselessness.

Anonymous said...

I am suffering from the same problem, despite a variety of pharmaceutical cocktails. It is times like these that I wish I was still homeless, living in B's room, so that we could make lists in the middle of the night together. Ruthie didn't sleep either...