Wednesday, September 10, 2008

MeMe HeHe Style

So the awesome LilSass (who I tend to live vicariously through) hit me up on the meme thing, the one where you have to write six things about yourself that might have gone unmentioned. Since I rarely talk about myself (ahem, cough cough) and since it is also my anniversary today (that's right: 14 years which means I have been officially married half of my life) (ahem, cough cough), I have decided to alter the plan a bit.

Here are 6 things I did not know about The Kid until after I had married him:

1) He is on occasion allergic to beer. I know this because once while eating seaweed salad, which at the time seemed very exotic and mildly scary, he started to develop a fuchsia rash on his neck. As it crept ever upward, he sauntered casually to the bathroom to check it out. I waited. And waited. I finally got the nerve up to rescue him, sure that I would find him laying comatose on the floor of the Japanese restaurant bathroom, but at last, he emerged. Still bright red, but breathing. Turns out, it was not the seaweed salad but in fact the beer. He remembered that it had happened once before (um? ever think to tell ME that?) and it would happen again. Except that the next time my advice would be to tell him to drink more*. It worked.

2) He had a dog named Lollipop. Not King or Brute or Buddy, but Lollipop. And he loved Lollipop, the hot dog dog.

3) He has some serious issues with screen doors being closed. And bugs. And rodents. And sharks. Also, with liberals, which makes for a lot of Carville/Matalin nights around here but much less intelligent. And with more bugs.

4) He always thought he would marry a 30 year old black woman. She is always 30, always black, and always a woman. He got one out of the three. I am pretty sure that in his fantasies, she is really tall too. Which means he got one out of four. I thought I was going to marry Jason Bateman so go figure.

5) He once passed off Jim Morrison lyrics as his own. His father thought he was a genius and a deep thinker for about 30 minutes, which were probably the best 30 minutes of The Kid's life before he met me. He still writes songs but never writes them down. So sad for the world -- all the music it'll never know.

6) While hanging out backstage with a band I was working with, The Kid, *who had obviously been trying to get that allergic rash under control, tried to convince the lead singer of the band, who was mildly famous in general and definitely famous for his very cool shades, to trade glasses. He worked on the dude for a good twenty minutes: wire frames from Lenscrafters for vintage rock star specs. He probably would have tried to sell him some song lyrics if I hadn't stepped in. I banned him from the backstage for months.

And 7 for good luck) Before I married him, I had no idea how crazy I would become, how grumpy, how weird, how worried, how tired, how confused I would be sometimes. I had no idea that he would have the tolerance of a pre-school teacher when dealing with my ebbs and flows and that after 14 years, he would still find me funny and still find his way home.



So young, so stupid, so many hats ago.

*****

Wanna play? Let me know. And I'll link to you here.

23commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

cIII said...

*gasp*
Allergic to Beer? That's like being allergic to sex.

unmitigated me said...

Holy Crap! You're only 28? You have the wisdom of the ages, girlie.

for a different kind of girl said...

I've never known it possible to be allergic to beer! I find that fascinating. Weird AND fascinating!

DKC said...

My SIL has a weird red wine allergy that sometimes pops up. Same thing - she gets all red.

I like #7 best, very sweet. But also: "I had no idea how crazy I would become, how grumpy, how weird, how worried, how tired, how confused I would be sometimes" sums up exactly how I feel on any given day!

Nash's Mom said...

Awww, congrats on your anniversary!

Lollipop. I love that.

Heather said...

Are those tight rolled pants I see? I remember those days. Sweet.

Sounds like you have a keeper! Anyway, I'm allergic to fish and people still keep me around.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Happy Anniversary!

I too favor #7. Its me. You wrote about me! ;) And I am really grumpy this week, so can you change that from grumpy to REALLY grumpy??

Thanks, and again, Happy Anniversary!

Major Bedhead said...

Aww, aren't you two cute? Happy anniversary!

patty said...

I love that picture!

Best wishes for many more.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

What a nice way to mark an anniversary. For us, just REMEMBERING it is a good start.

And I see from your photo that you've always been into hats . . .

Carolyn...Online said...

IF my internet connection hadn't been down ALL day again yesterday then I would've known that you were on 14 years too. But apparently Atlanta is much like the back roads of Guatemala with the internet connections. Sorry, that had nothing at all to do with The Kid or the Picket... Happy Anniversary!

Leslie said...

Happy Anniversay, a day late.

28...*snort*.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary, and I sincerely hope (for his sake) that wasn't his empty bottle of Rolling Rock sitting next to your feet in the photo.

For Myself said...

I swear...I think I knew that girl!

Love this post and I wish you a happy, and centered, anniversary.

BUT...I really don't think he has "tolerance" for you. I don't think you're grumpy or anything but real and cool. So there. He's lucky to have you!

Aimee said...

Happy anniversary!!!!!
The Kid sounds awesome except for that whole conservative thing...but whatever!

Jen W said...

I love that picture. You two just look like you fit.

Anonymous said...

You officially win Cutest Couple award.

BabyonBored said...

Okay, I swear to God for some reason when you were talking about your husband thinking he was going to marry a black woman I thought you said he got one out of a tree. I had to reread it four times cause I was like "holy shit" that's so crazy racist. HAHAHAHAH.

RhoRho said...

The Kid sounds like an alright dude...and #7, all too familiar.

Leslie said...

Helloooo? You out there?

MereCat said...

I'm allergic to triple sec which means no real margaritas for me. *sigh*

That's a cute picture. Happy anniversary.

Lipstick Jungle said...

taptaptap, is this thing on?

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of you both