Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Raising Palin

Raising daughters is a mega bitch -- and I mean that completely pun-free. Raising daughters who you hope become self-assured, wikkid smaht, and self-possessed Women (with a capital W, not like a GW "w") is seriously hard work, especially for a grrl like me who tends to over think her feminista-ness a tad too much. Who tends to get caught up in labels like (oh shut up) SAHM and (good God) Soccer Mom. It's hard for anyone to raise a girl, even Republicans apparently, and right now, it's not so much fun for my sister (mother of a 15 year old) or for Laggin and her heart-broken girl.

One of the first things I thought when they said "it's a girl!" was what the? because oh my god, the pressure. I mean, this tiny baby was gonna look to me for all kinds of knowledge: mascara and tampons, boyfriends and bitches, sports bras and sweat management. I could manage a few of those things, but not all, not hardly, and also, OH MY MOTHER FUCKING GOD did he just say, it's a girl?

That daughter made purses out of gym socks so she's never needed me to learn the feminine ways. (Silver linings.) (Lucky girl.) But she does need me to show her leadership and girl balls and how to not hide in the corner and how you gotta try things over and over because it doesn't matter if you're not the best the first go 'round. I am good at modeling this only about 25 percent of the time. Maybe 40 percent on a good day. Fifteen percent on bad one. Which is not to say that I am not a natural leader, because listen, since first grade they were calling me bossy, but the other crap? See what I mean about the pressure?

When they told me for a second time "it's a girl," I wasn't shocked. I figured that's what we do.

That daughter made gym socks out of purses. She fashioned belts into holsters to hold sticks swords when she was three. She hopped on a bike at four and rode it when no one was looking, because her sister was on a bike and also because WTF? it's bike, I can ride it! She needs me to show her how great it can be to be a girl and how it's not such a bad thing to use a brush and that making friends sometimes means stopping running long enough to talk to them. SEE? Fucking pressure.

I thought when they were born (less than two years apart) that they would look the same. They didn't. (All three of my kids have different colored eyes, which is pretty much karma telling me to sit down and pay attention.) I thought that they would become similar kids. They're not.

While one runs herself ragged on the soccer turf two days a week, the other trips UP the bleachers and smashes her knee. While one lays out her clothes and organizes her files, the other has gum in her hair for days without telling.

While one teaches me to listen more and realize that cool, smart girls can dance and chat and do cartwheels, the other one teaches me to let go more and realize that a strong boot and fancy foot work is not all that makes a girl. Sometimes I think my yin and yang of daughters are brought to me FOR A REASON. A reason I had nothing to do with. Which is the reason.

Because you know what? We aren't in control of the babies we birth for much longer than nine (or ten) months. After that: they are who they are and we get to scramble (for the rest of our lives?) to figure that out and make adjustments and plans that help them get all the way to where they're meant to be.

And lest you think I might let this Palin dog lie?

Shit's gonna happen. So a little more than abstinence teaching might help along the way for my girls, for all girls, and a little more than the world emerged from the finger tip of a God might help to make scientists of my kids, and a little choice in how a girl could deal with the unexpected realities of life (like say? um? ADOPTION? why not ADOPTION? that other "A" word? perhaps that's a choice a 17 year old Alaskan girl could consider) because, seriously, this raising girl stuff?

We should arm our girls with everything we know, everything everyone else knows, because hoping for the best? Expecting outcomes like you think you owned the word outcomes?

Never worked. Never will.

22commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yeah. What she said.

Amy said...

I'm not religious (straight from Madonna) but Amen. And a big old holla.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Oh hon you know I am on this same sadistic roller coaster right behind you!

Daughter #1 (ADOPTED by my aunt and uncle because I was the daughter who knew better than my mom that you couldnt get pregnant the first time - ha!) is starting her sophomore year in college - although the college has her with enough credits to be a junior - is a genious, speaks 3 languages, athletic,graceful - can sing, dance, and knock your socks off with her beauty.

Daughter #2 - is turning 11 in 3 weeks - if she makes it - but acts like she is the one that is 37. She has the cahone's of a 7' 350# man, and asserts them at all opportunities. She can be brought to tears and come back fighting stronger and wittier than the joker. But she is not.graceful.at.all. She is in dance, but spends more of her time watching the others do their thing. She is uber smart, but has not one wit of common sense. She goes to her dads for a month and comes back bitching about hair #6759 on MY head being out of place. She too is allergic to hair brushes, toothbrushes, clean socks and underwear (I KNOW!) and a floor that you can see the carpet on.

Now my son on the other hand - well, boys are a totally different story...

While I know I am not voting for Obama, I am almost positive I will have just as hard a time voting for a man who has to even the score by adding a woman to his ticket to even the playing field.

And round 23 of todays whining ensues so I must go tear my hair out, grab a bottle of wine, and hover in a closet until hurricane almost 11 year old blows over!

Lipstick Jungle said...

I spelled genius wrong up there cuz I aint so smaht!

teeheesnickersnort, pass the bottle opener!

Anonymous said...

Firstly, this was a beautiful post about your girls with a little political commentary. I love it!

I don't have kids yet but I am a girl and have a sister and my parents were dead-set on giving us the tools to enter the world and deal with it as it came. Hats off to all you parents making a difference in every shoe lace tied, every sandwich made and every smart sex talk delivered ;-)

For Myself said...

Yeah, abstinence education didn't seem to really do the job here did it? Shocking!
I do love thinking about how our kids are growing us into parents. Some days it seem that mine have a particularly huge job to do...
;)

MsPicketToYou said...

For Myself: growing us into parents?

Beautiful. Perfect. Exactly what I tried to say, but better.

Heather said...

No, no, the problem is that she (Palin) has been caught in the Republican web. No birth control, no abortion, and adoption is a miserable choice.

I am sorry for little Bristol (no smart mom picks that name). She is an example. I hope that she writes a tell all later.

Again. Think. Think. Plan.

for a different kind of girl said...

I can only let you know that I am applauding...

MereCat said...

Excellent post. A call to arms. I loved the "purses to gymsocks" allegory. (Allegory? Is that right?) Anyway, loved it. Made me think of my own little girl and who she is trying to become.

Carolyn...Online said...

So well said Ms. P. My two girls who are so vastly different will both have to sit down and listen to their mother tell them about bank accounts, and baking, and landing the cartwheel. and catching the firefly, and sewing, and hammering, and for god's sake contraception.

Meredith said...

Good god there is a lot of stuff we need to teach these children isn't there? Not to mention the little fact that they are who they are and the only thing we, as parents, can do is work with who they are...sure can't put a square peg in a round hole!

And yes, that 'other A word' is one that should be a very viable option for a 17 year old.

Leslie said...

Beautifully written, brilliantly thought out. (And thanks for the link.)

My girls too are as different as night and day; silence and blaring music; silk and hemp; lamb and tasmanian devil. But each are lovely in their own way.

My Palin post is a'coming.

LiteralDan said...

I figure that by having a boy and a girl, we've split the difference and hedged our bets.

Hopefully we haven't doubled our trouble.

Jen W said...

I love this post. Life just kinda seems to run its course and takes you along for the ride, doesn't it?

Before I had kids, I always pictured my life being the mom to 3 boys. I knew how awful I was to my mom from the ages of 12-20 and didn't wish that on my worst enemy, let alone myself! I was sure that if I had a girl, that karma would come back around and bitch slap me on the back of the head blessing me with a daughter who would hate me and who would be even more awful to me than I was to my mother.

I convinced myself during my first pregnancy that I was carrying a boy so when I went for the ultrasound and they said it was a girl, I started to cry...and cry... and cry. I sobbed to my husband, "She's gonna haaaattte meeee (sob)."

And sometimes she does but that's okay because I love her fiercely and couldn't imagine my life without her.

Aimee said...

I fucking love you. I really do.
I have boys
they are super different too
and if ever one of my boys gets a young girl pregnant
I will be talking options
BOTH A words
and if not that
how I can help them and be, (still my racing heart) a good grandmother.


Also
I am a shamelessly huge beyatch and I aired 100% dirty assed laundry.

(and Mr, Anon talked about trash mouthed Moms. I'm straight Jerry Springer)

Aimee said...

I said how I can help them be
but I meant telling them I would be a good grandmother
my heart lurching once again.

fingers crossed
please don't let that happen

Susan said...

There is not a dang thing I can teach my daughter. She is five and already so much smarter than me it makes my head spin. I'm just along for the ride.

Manager Mom said...

I LOVED reading about you and your daughters.

I felt the same way when my girl was born - a sort of sick feeling of "damn, I'm going to totally eff this up".

Every day she is a surprise and a challenge and a delight. And I don't let on to her how much I feel like I'm still winging it at this whole Mom thing, but I will eternally give her credit for helping me figure some of this stuff out so that when The Boy gets there, I feel like I have a little bit of a road map.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, do I understand that panic when you find out you are having a girl.

I grabbed my husband around the neck and yelled, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT I SUCK AT BEING A GIRL???

So she may suck at being a traditional girl, too... and how very proud I will be.

formerly fun said...

You said that beautifully and thanks for a glimpse into my future with two girls(one is four, one is 10 months). I'm glad I'm not theonly one scambling to figure out what they need to round them out.

Anonymous said...

Well said. I always hoped that our baby would be a girl - because girls love their dads - but in hindsight, I'm kind of glad that we got a boy.

I've got no judgement to make on Palin, but I do have a problem with the Right Wing hacks who bitched and moaned about Jamie Lynn Spears, blamed it on the parents, blamed it on society. Now it's OK? Now it's a beautiful thing? Is it a beautiful thing that those kids have a million Republican shotguns at their back on their way up the aisle? It isn't the parents fault and it isn't a beautiful thing, it's just one of those things that we go through.