Sunday, September 21, 2008

Soccer Mom V. Pit Bull

Soccer was the sport that made me love sports. I was a decent player and the physics and geometry of the game were all I really ever mastered of math. I was good at seeing the game from above so to speak and while I never had finesse or skill or speed of any kind, I could make the ball go to the right place at the right time almost every time. I could set up plays, what with my loud mouth and my perch at center half-back.

(I once scored a goal from 50 yards out, but that was a fluke of the highest order and would never happen again. Also, I was at my prime then, 14, and soon would earn a spot on the state team. Injuries on that team and through high school plus a growing obsession with records would initiate a slow slide downward. I did not play in college. I watched one practice my first week there; division one is scarrrrry. And large.)

Still, I think all those statistics about girls and sports were true for me. The discipline of the sport, the camaraderie, the physical commitment: they were all things that helped to define me, but mostly they gave me a healthy respect for earned achievement -- so I busted my butt off the field too. My girls play soccer for two reasons: the aforementioned and also, because I kinda I wish I was still playing soccer myself.

So, I coach. I am one of three women head coaches in a 12 team girls' league. This means nothing, but I mention it, because well, maybe it means something to me. I've coached some of these girls for years. Two of them showed up at the game today with a poster for the team just like the one I had made for the first team we were on together. If not for the pre-game adrenaline, I might have cried.

The assistant coach, who has been with me twice, is a dad of two soccer playing kids who splits the practices: running between helping our team and his son's team all at the same time. Not sure if awards are made for that, but they should be and he should be given one. And also, he's a man, with loads of soccer knowledge, but I am the coach. He makes sure everyone knows that, especially when the other coaches approach HIM to shake hands before the game. He deserves a different award for that.

We won our first game, in the rain, with one sub, 6-1. I got in trouble: I should have stopped the scoring. I knew that. I couldn't: we were up 3-1 after the first half and scored three lucky goals in 8 minutes at the beginning of the second half. I used our one sub to spread the "hold back" message. There was no gloating from our team at the end. These girls were proud but they were sportswomen. If not for the post-game adrenaline, I might have cried.

We lost today 4-0. Three goals were scored against us in the second half. Even though those kids played like aces and essentially, we dominated, sometimes its boils down to luck. You win, you lose. That's how it works. Everyone left smiling. I took the poster home for safekeeping.

(Enter: bitch. SELF-EDIT HERE*. Exit: Bitch.)

I'll spend 5 days out of the next seven looking for socks and shin pads for practices and clinics, which will make me utterly crazy and also utterly happy all at the same time because I figure if my love of the sport matters, it might matter to them too. Also, I will be practicing my subtle *stick-foot-out-one-way-and-look-the-other-way trip maneuver for next week's game, should I need it.

So anyhow, soccer matters to me. The "soccer mom" thing? It means something different to me too. Also, I know for sure that there are no differences between hockey moms and soccer moms.

But do you know the difference between a soccer mom and a pit bull?

Brains.

Just saying.

19commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

For Myself said...

Hahahahaha!
What lucky girls (in your house and on your field) to have a role model like you.
Very, very nicely done.

Lisa said...

Bravo Coach!
I am the soccer mom in our operation, but I'm married to "the coach". He's coached both of our older boys from U-6 through U-14 where he had to finally let them go play for someone else, the high school coach. He did something right because they both made varsity as freshmen. I watch that high school team play and know that 75% of the players on that field and sitting on that bench are products of his coaching.
I am immensely proud of him and his dedication to the sport.
It all begins again for him as he is now coaching the little boy at the U-8 level.

Leslie said...

Soccer is such a great sport for kids. In so many, many ways. I loved it for my kids. Eldest played about three years...she is not a ball sport kinda kid.

But, um, about the time Younger was leaving season #18 of soccer, I cannot say I was unhappy when she decided to focus on volleyball. A. She's a better volleyball player. B. Volleyball matches are shorter than soccer games. C. I've had it with Midwest weather on the soccer field...it's always 10 degrees hotter or colder and the wind is either totally still or knocking you over.

Signed, Happy to now be an ex-soccer mom

Susan said...

The mom from the other side was obviously a pit bull.

Heather said...

Ms. Picket, we are ALL OVER the soccer here. I am the lacking soccer mom, but, my husband is: I grew up in Portugal, I breath this, read about it, force the family to watch it even in Spanish dad. He coaches our son's team, sits on the local board, and plays. He would NEVER, EVER have done what that other coach did to you.

It is a pity that we can't be real neighbors. I think we could have a great game.

You are awesome.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Brains and heart, common sense, and sportsmanship (or sportswomanmanship?)

I wish I was more sporty. I always aspired to be when I was younger, but my parents really didnt support it, and never showed up when I made attempts to compete at things so it took the wind out of my sails.

I am working on finding things my kids like, that I too like, so we can have some harmony and sportsmanship.

I do have to admit (putting on my dunce hat and finding my way to the stool in the corner) that when I was engaged to the cop, you know the one, that jerk-off that lives in Maryland (ok, you dont know, but I felt the need to turn the "let some steam off" dial a little), he had a brother that played a killer game of hockey, and I was (here is that dunce moment) one of those louder than the air horns the other team squealed kind of team supporters. Never derogatory mind you, only supportive.

eh hem. But I was young back then. Young and stupid and loud!

Im proud of you and your self control. I would have been all up in his face and y'all (in my MN accent).

Amy said...

That's awesome you coach. How great for you girls. I'm a soccer mom and am constantly amazed and thankful for the time and dedication the coaches put in. It's commendable.
Another difference between soccer/hockey moms and pit bulls is we get to vote.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

As a former soccer player myself, I would just like to say . . .

SOCCER RULES. (And so do girls.)

Queen Mutha said...

Ms Picket, I am reviewing you this week, probably on Thursday. Will you just email me to verify that you submitted your site and then delete this email? I appreciate it.

M.

Anonymous said...

We're all about football in my testosterone-filled homestead, but that's ok because I grew up with a mom who had Pats season tickets (she was very cool in her day), and am a football-crazed woman myself, absolutely loving watching my large nine-year-old on the field.

Kids sports are awesome in so many ways, and the coaches are the key. So, thank you Ms. P. for being out there with those girls, creating a team with a capital T and building something on that grass that takes strength, perseverance, and heart. And to those other coaches making their assumptions, remember, it's soccer. Two balls are not required.

Aimee said...

The difference between a football mom and a pit bull...brains. And, this football mom doesn't wear lipstick.

Congrats on your win and how awesome is awesome soccer dad/ assistant?

Kevin McKeever said...

Thing 1's team, which I coach out of desparation, lost 5-0 Saturday. Got any tips? Drills? Sedatives?

Jessica Gottlieb said...

I'm Soccer Girl turned Soccer Mom too.

It's interesting.
But I know I'm good at it.

And I know it matters, and why.

Anonymous said...

Man, soccer... I remember hating almost every minute of soccer, but loving almost every minute tennis and volleyball, so it's all about ability and what you like, right?

I applaud what you are doing for those girls - and helping to mold them into parents that will support their kids instead of screaming at them from the sidelines.

Really, I just didn't have the endurance for soccer...

As Loki said in Dogma,
"Raining down sulfur takes a huge level of endurance. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer."

Jen W said...

Honestly, my hat's off to you for being able to coach soccer (or any other sport for that matter). I watched my daughter's second soccer game ever this weekend- watched her lollygagging around the field not even at a jog fast enough to break a sweat; watched her chit chatting with a team mate back by the goalie (I know there is a name for that position but I never played soccer- I was a gymnast so I have no idea what it's calle) and I thought of the coaches. HOW.CAN.THEY.STAND.TO.WATCH.THIS???

But the girls are having fun so that's what matters, right?? RIGHT????

patty said...

Oh damn. I think this is my new favorite post of yours!

Manager Mom said...

I wish you were a coach in my league.

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh I love this Ms. P! I missed you while I was gone.

A Free Man said...

Brains! Awesome.

I coached soccer for a season or two and found myself completely out of my depth, so good on you!