Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Speaking of restaurants...

Wait? Were we speaking of restaurants? We weren't, but I'm hungry and would very much like for someone to bring me a menu. Just saying.

Anyhoo, B was out to lunch the other day with her friend and her friend's family. The hostess/neighbor mom mentioned that she wanted a taste of the salad being enjoyed by the man at the nearby table. Which I understand completely. The plates get piled down on other tables and all I want to do is tuck in right next to them and check out the yumminess. I sort of wish that all restaurants were dim sum style or of the tapas variety: that way I could see and try and taste and devour little bits of everything.

So, B, who is always ever helpful, flipped over her paper placemat and created the following, a sign of sorts that the host/neighbor dad could use to get the attention of the man at the nearby table:



I'm not sure why the "please" is crossed out -- frankly, I would have kept that -- but I am keeping the drawing in my bag nonetheless, just in case I see a salad that looks particularly tasty.

17commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Lipstick Jungle said...

That is so stinkin funny! Did host dad use it? I think you should patent it, mass produce it and sell it.

I will take one (along with a bite of that something yummy you have had to grubbed up by now!)

Leslie said...

Very clever.

Were it that the world would not think you crazy for using the sign. :/

Carolyn...Online said...

printing

laminating

adding to purse

Jen W said...

That's a great idea! I love tapas style dining as well. And up until a few years ago, I didn't realize that dim sum was kind of like a buffet of sorts. I got into a big discussion with an Asian co-worker that sounded like a Laurel & Hardy episode:

Him: You want to go for lunch and get some dim sum?
Me: Sure, I've never had it. What is it?
Him: Well, it's a little bit of everything.
Me: What the hell does that mean? What does it taste like?
Him: Well it depends on the bite.
Me: Well what *is* it exactly???
Him: it's a bit of everything. I don't know how else to describe it.
Me: Is it cooked???
Him: Of course it's cooked.
Me: Is it fish???

****and imagine that going on for another 4 or 5 minutes.

Deeples said...

Jen, that's the funniest thing I've read today!!!

Is it fish?

I love it.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I don't like to share. Unless my husband gets something better than what I got, and then I like HIM to share with ME. But the food's better at my house, so we never go out to eat anyway and I don't have this problem.

For Myself said...

With this under her belt, just think how empowered she'll be when it comes time to ask for her first raise. She'll consider the "please" adendum, but then she'll decide against it. Fork it over, mister!

Love it.

graham's mom said...

Oh man, can I echo the print, laminate, store for future use comment? I am going to put it in my husband's wallet, so he can use it at all times.

Elizabeth said...

Just so you know, I wish my husband did hold up that sign because I ended up ordering the salad and it was a mistake... I hate diner's remorse!

Anonymous said...

I do that all the time. What?

Heather said...

Bless her little heart! Sounds like your raisin' 'em right.

for a different kind of girl said...

I want this. I need this. This is adorable!

Meredith said...

Remember when Elaine asked a fellow diner for a bite at the Chinese restaurant? She could definitely have used this.

Anonymous said...

I like the drawing - the wife in question looks friendly and pleasant, like exactly the kind of person you wouldn't mind offering a bit of something to - but I can't help but wonder if it might work more effectively if there was an element of implied threat to it... I mean, wouldn't you hand over your plate more quickly if the illustrated mom had more of a predatory, wolf-like look to her?

Just a thought.

Kevin McKeever said...

B should have subbed "a-hole" for "please."

Mama Dawg said...

Did it work?

Aimee said...

very cute!