Friday, August 8, 2008

In Which I Consider the Olympics

Unlike my temporary desire to be an astronaut, I always wanted to be in the Olympics. I was decent at soccer, until I started smoking and listening to the Dead, and I could ski better than my sisters but nowhere near as well as my cousins. I did however have an ace in the hole: I was born in the Philippines. I figured I could cash in on my (maybe?) dual citizenship and be the first downhill skier from the Island. Kind of like Eddie the Eagle, but I'd be Picket the Pretend Filipino.

Quite obviously, that was yet another obsession that thankfully passed. I do still tune into the Opening Ceremonies, if only to dream for a minute (or ten hours since that's how long the thing seems to last). I was late to watch it tonight: things get busy when four women are trying to feed six children with a charcoal grill. Especially if that meal comes post amusement park (which I mentioned to CarolynOnline is, in fact, neither).

After the natural hysterics and tantrums and tears as one woman (being me) tried to put five children to bed (go ahead: figure the fucked up math on that one) way too late, I finally sat down to marvel at the whole skeptical spectacle of the thing. It comes at a good time really: at last, something else to talk about besides the Drunk People or well, me.

There's an election happening and a war and yet another Democrat lyingcheater (John Edwards) and the weather is all kinds of wack after all, so it's pathetic that I haven't brought any of it up. And the countdown to school (though still a month away) has begun which means the harsh reality of "meetings" has begun too and god knows, I like to get my bitch on about that. I must be in some kind of apathy zone and I hope it has more to do with the beer sun season than anything else. After all, there must be more to write this genius blog about than the blah blah yada yada. I mean, I could have been an astronaut!

But oh! the Olympics! Chinese pollution! The protests! Tibet! The detention of the American journalists! Dara Torres and her sick 40 year old abs! The earthquake! The world's people gathered in peace!

That's some serious blog for thought (or thought for blog?).

But you know what I was thinking as this Parade of Nations paraded through my mother's tv screen?

The premier athletes of the world are some serious good looking people, as in hot, yo, as in yum and helllooo and how you doin' and then I realized, this isn't what I had in mind when I was thinking "inspiration."

Blah blah yada yada.

10commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

unmitigated me said...

There's something about exhaustion and an adult beverage that amplifies our baser selves.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yes, you are correct--those people swim in the higher end of the gene pool for sure. Can you imagine what it's like at that Olympic Village where they all stay? It's like all the Popular Kids all gathered together in one place.

I like your blog just the way it is, Ms. Picket. I can read about John Edwards anywhere (and EVERYWHERE), but where else will I see a naked toddler cleaning?

Carolyn...Online said...

I miss the days when ALL of the Olympics happened in the same year: winter and summer. This every two years thing to rake in extra cash annoys me. That's all I've got as far as Olympic commentary.

But the athletes... yummy.

Leslie said...

Yes, these athletes are a sight to behold. Four years ago, when Eldest was 11, she discovered the joy of gazing upon excellently formed male abs via the Olympics. Her love object? Michael Phelps (guess she didn't notice the ears for all the ab gazing).

As she stared lack jawed at Phelps on a large screen TV in a sports bar, Car-man suddenly realized that the first of his babies had discovered men. I still break into giggles thinking about that moment. When I bring it up, Car-man still turns green.

So beware, this may be the year your girls discover the fine male form.

Anonymous said...

I used to totally dream of the Olympics too. Softball, baby. Except when I played the chicks didn't usually look like Jenny Finch.

Heather said...

It's fun to watch the pretty that goes with athletes. I tend to notice the business in their eyes. It's like the elite runners at a marathon, they are their to dominate. It's cool.

Aimee said...

Ya, like I;m in love 100 times over kind of hot. And, I think I saw some women that might either turn me gay or I want to kill out of envy. Not sure which.

RhoRho said...

I know whatchu sayin' girl. I get the itch to get all political, but then it's highly un-intellectual when I do. I will comment on those damn male swimmers...YUMS is right. My mouth was gaping open last night right in front of the hub. Da-zam...

patty said...

I couldn't help but think this morning "We sure are giving the Chinese a pass on Tibet and EVERYTHING ELSE!" as I watched the Today Show. It passed. August will do that to a girl.

LilSass said...

Ya know, so long as all you bloggers keep writing about the Olympics and my pathetic ass has no TV, these next couple of weeks are going to be painful. *sigh* LilSass can't see the pretty athletes. Damnit!