Monday, August 4, 2008

Boxed In

Nothing reminds a person more of their identification as a proletariat then when sitting high above the crowds at a Bruce Springsteen concert. The reserved parking is nice and the private bathroom has it benefits, but one cannot completely rawk while perched in a class glass cage. That being said, I took my flip flops off and still got my groove on. I also talked myself into three free cold beers from the nice people in the parking lot because I still got it.

On other hand, when taking Three Short Drunk People to their first Red Sox game, the box seats pretty much rule. The GFYO can roam around at will, the hot dogs are free and plentiful as is the popcorn and cracker jacks (and beer), and the bathroom is lovely and clean and does not include a urinal. Also, when a foul ball pops up into your nifty little piece of Fenway heaven and your 7 year old daughter CATCHES it, you and the Kid get to be the Best Parents Ever.

The perks of the Kid's company are far and few between -- unless you consider ruthlessly long hours and boundless profession-wide job insecurity to be a perk -- but access to the occasional box seat is definitely a bonus. Unless you think you are 24 and a rock and roll goddess and wish to wail on a little air guitar so that Bruce sees you and pulls you up on stage ala Courtney Cox. Then you probably would not so much like the box seats.

Just sayin.'

16commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

unmitigated me said...

We wave at you from the seats of the bourgeois.

Nash's Mom said...

That is freaking sweet!! Best Parents EVER indeed. She will never ever forget that day. And you know if you weren't locked in the glass box, Bruce totally would have brought you up on stage to shake your groove thing.

I gots to get me a job at The Kid's company.....

Major Bedhead said...

The Red Sox AND Bruce? In one week? Dood. You suck. I'm so jealous.

Carolyn...Online said...

Courtney Cox was a plant and was hired because she can't dance for shit. They wanted her to look like a "non-professional." YOU however would be pulled from the crowd for emanating coolness. So much better.

And the ball? Wicked cool as you northerners say.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Is that what it takes to become the best parents? Man, I have a lot of work to do! ;)

That is so cool nonetheless!

Amy said...

Box seats are like first class. Just the way to go. Good for you. Sounds like an awesome week.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I love that it was your DAUGHTER that caught the ball. Girls rule!

Aimee said...

I get the $5 bench seats at Tiger stadium...and there's not only a urinal but urine everywhere.
Seriously, though? How cool????
and yes, how much cooler that it was your daughter that caught the ball!
FYI My sister the Conservative came home from a Bruce concert and said, "I think he's a Democrat?!?!?!"
Bah ha ha ha ha!!!!

Jen W said...

I second major bedhead's comment. Both of those in one week????

MsPicketToYou said...

if you knew how very little i actually get to the leave the house...

Floaterie said...

holy crap--adam would give his one remaining kidney to watch a Sox game in those seats. Die hard I tell you.

catching the ball??? something she will never forget. ever.

And you and the Boss?? Too much coolness in one place yo. I'm surprised the heavens allowed it..;-)

cIII said...

Cracker Jacks and Beer made me the Athelete I am today. mmmmmmmm...Cracker Jacks and Beer. I think I just invented a new Cereal.

Meg said...

Thank goodness you got your hair done for these events.

Hey, I heard Tweety sang at the Cubs game on Sunday. Dang, why do I have to drunk at the beach.

Leslie said...

The importance of the Boss would be so lost on my girls. They would just roll their eyes at the old music and say something like, "Is this from the 70's or something?" And I would secretly wish them dead.

I did take Eldest to a Death Cab for Cutie concert this year. Interesting experience--mostly because today's teens are so much more tame than my generation. It was the 30-somethings smoking pot in the crowd; not the teens or college kids. I also suffered through a mostly hideous, all day, sweltering hot teeny-bobby concert done by a local radio station with the girls. It had some decent acts, but I'm too old for 8 hour concerts in the sun. Without beer. Damn responsible driving.

I was too busy with work and the new job to take Eldest to the Warped tour. I really wanted to go to that one. But did recently make Billy Joel, The Police and Elvis Costello. We have some decent acts coming through cowtown all of a sudden. Even is they are from the 70's or 80's. Whatever. *eye roll*

patty said...

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!

That is all.

Heather said...

I'm just gunna say we (younglings and I) saw Bruce at a rally. So, I think that makes me a parking attendant???