Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pouring You Into A Cab

Dear First Real Friend,

When I walked into that bar last night to see you for the first time in like, what? Fifteen years? I was expecting to totally pit out my tee-shirt with nervousness (which is why I wore the tank with the cute drapey cardigan thing if you must know) but I didn't. I was expecting to get all tongue-tied or the complete opposite, ultra did she just do a few lines in the parking lot chatty. But that didn't happen either. Instead I walked in there like I was walking into your basement from your backyard.

Sweet relief! You are funny and smart and sensitive and as cute and nice as you were when you were eight. And you have good taste in wine which I tasted for you which you soon learned was ridiculous since my palate is pretty much twist-off or in a can. You laughed at that and leaned over and hugged me for real and we were off.

I felt sorry for the bartender and the toads on the other stools because we were way too funny and way too interesting for anyone in that joint to compete. (Were there other people there? Actually I don't really know.) Turns out we didn't even need the booze to get down and ridiculously dirty, because within about six minutes I think we spilled all the major shit. And yo! That's some shit we both have, which just proves my point that most stuff comes undone in regular ways. Even for us. Mostly for us.

Remember when you asked me if my sister was still so TALL and BEAUTIFUL? She is beautiful, but she is 5'3". I think you are taller than her now. Remember when you asked me about my parents? And I asked you about yours? And then we both sat there, slack-jawed and all WTF and hold on and are you serious? I'm pretty sure that's when I knew we would have a second date.

Remember when I told you that I took a year off from that fancy college and you told me that you had done the same thing from your fancy college? And then you asked me why? And when I started to tell you, even though to this day I still don't have a great answer to that question, you finished my sentence and hugged me again and high-fived me? And then we howled about that time you "had no knees" at that Dead show in Virginia and that other time when we both had ridiculous hair issues and about the gay boyfriends we both had. That was some serious funny shit. I'm glad we still laugh at the same things: I'm glad we both know when to start laughing. I'm glad we never cried. I do that sometimes. I'm pretty sure you do too.

And the work stuff? I get that. And when you asked me

so, what have you been doing since you sold your business seven years ago?

I wasn't offended or even surprised because I get that a lot. And it was really nice of you to step in and apologize, which was totally unnecessary really, but appreciated. And after babbling about all the volunteer stuff and the Short Drunk People and the massive amounts of alcohol you said, straightface,
so you've been working?

which was perfect really and enough said and we moved on again.

And more hilarity ensued. And more stories. And peeing together in the bathroom. And standing on the sidewalk with the sun closing down, smoking butts like jackasses. Like 14 year olds. Like nothing had ever changed.

Somewhere between what was supposed to be two hours and turned into three hours, you had the great self-knowledge to consider a cab. And because I was once your best friend, I knew enough to know you needed one. So I got you one. So I put you in it, kissed your cheek through the window and sent you off in a blaze of absolute love and with luck for an easy hangover.

I got your message -- sent at 7AM! -- at about noon. Seven aaaa emmm? Really? You are GOOD girl and should know better: pouring girlfriends into cabs is my specialty! I don't think there's ever been a friend worth the trouble who does not have that cab pour down to a science. That's what we do. That's how we roll. I pour for you, you pour for me.

Next time: it's your turn. Didya hear me? I said "next time" which means... there will be a next time.

Thanks for meeting me on a work night with a baby at home and two other kids. Thanks for letting me make sure you got home OK. Thanks for growing up and moving on and moving back and remembering everything like I do.

Love,

Ms Picket

PS: I drove by my old house. The sucker's been torn down, replaced with a monster that I think takes up the entire acre lot. Our fort is gone. Our woods seem small comparatively. The new house sums up so much really, you dig?

16commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...

I'm so glad you had a girly girl date night with Facebookish friend from the past. Makes me want to start googling people.

Anonymous said...

This is SUCH a brilliant post. I don't know who I was friends with when I was 8, but I doubt our meeting would be so fun.

Reunions are the greatest when they end up this way, just as they should be!

Jen W said...

Thank you. Because of this post, I'm calling my childhood friends, like immediately. I miss them. I miss all of us together and the crazy shit we used to do.

Side note- I'm still waiting for the follow up to your And Then I Told Some Truth post.

MsPicketToYou said...

Jen W: school starts for the biggers on Tuesday, for the GFYO on Thursday. I have this cracked out idea that this could mean more time for More Truth. And since you asked? I am even more motivated. Which is kind of HI-larious because "motivate" plus "me": rarely in the same sentence.

for a different kind of girl said...

This post has given me the courage to say yes if, by some grace, the friend I had my entire elementary, high school, and college life I just reconnected with, thanks to the Internet, suggest we meet up. We've lived near each other forever, but just sort of stopped being friends forever ago. I'd actually like that to change.

This was such a great post! Thanks for writing it, for the inspiration for it sounded like it was amazing!

Amy said...

Old friends are awesome. It's nice to pick up like no time was ever in between. Glad you had fun.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

As much benefit as I may have gotten from being a military officer's child and moving all the time (and there are many benefits), reading things like this makes me realize what I may have missed out on. It's like your own Ya Ya sisterhood! Very cool.

Aimee said...

That is awesome! I kind of suspect the same thing would happen if you and I met in a bar!

Meg said...

I'm so jealous--I never had a gay boyfriend.

Or a girl Wilco friend. So email me.

patty said...

All wistful smiles on this end.

Mama Dawg said...

What I wouldn't do to visit with old friends. Sigh....

cIII said...

I wish I could have a couple of Pits with Brian Hickey. My aim is sooo much better and I'd totally smear him with that slushball this time.
Glad you had a good time. After that RoadTrip, you deserved it.

Watonwan County Entertainment Association said...

It makes me almost miss some of my school friends... ok, maybe not so much. But it makes me envious that you have a school friend that you wanted to catch up with!

Good for you! I need to find me a friend who would pour me into a cab - but then we dont have cabs here in the boonies, so I think I am good for now!

Leslie said...

isn't it perfect when nothing changes? i have a few old friends like that. it's delicious, time spent with them.

Anonymous said...

Man, that just made me really sad. But really happy for you.

Samantha said...

Dude that's awesome. I hope the future is as cool for me!