Monday, August 11, 2008

To Blog or Not To Blog

The first post I ever wrote was about a day when I left two of my children unattended in my car on a snow shit day to retrieve my other child and her friend from school and returned to find the car about six feet from where I left it. It had slid down the crappy parking lot hill sideways (where it was parked illegally) with the kids still inside. I wrote a gripey, pissed off email to some friends about it, though I really don't know why because I had never done that before. I was mostly writing letters to the editor and press releases and the occasional ACTUAL PUBLISHED article at the time and truth be told, I really didn't even know what a blog was. The Kid sent me a link to an article about (wha?) mom bloggers, said I should do that too, and because I rarely shy away from a challenge, I did. Cut and pasted. Hit publish. Freaked out.

I told no one. Not. One. Person. After a couple weeks, I finally 'fessed to about a dozen people and I was pretty content to leave it at that. About six months later, I let it slip into some Christmas cards I had written. I was pretty sure no one read any of it anyway (and subsequently, I was kinda hoping someone would), so I figured what the fuck.

Six some odd months later, a handful of pretty awesome broads starting showing up. Then some dudes. All of 'em blogger people like me, all of them funny, and I learned a lot. I learned how a real garden works and how to gracefully handle death, but mostly I found a wide swath of well-written strangers who though not necessarily like-minded were all equally open and seemingly truthful and engaged in trying to make meaning and fun out of what could be considered mundane. The details matter, after all, and lots of these people write about the details with complete, hilarious perfection.

(I read something written by CS Lewis (not in a book, duh, in a catalog, where it was sewn onto a pillow): “friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one" and lately, this has mattered to me more than any pillow ever should.)

I started writing more. It got easier. I used to hear a good sentence and think about that for a week; now, I hear whole paragraphs and write them down in a day. And it's good because that was the point of this whole experiment to begin with. It's also good because I like the tap tap on the keyboard. I always have, even when it was pen on paper, which makes more of scratchy and then slivery noise if you care, but whatever.

Anyhoo, here's the thing: I think I have some local lurkers.

Maybe even PTO parents. Maybe people from soccer. Maybe... well, who knows who they are or how they got here, but I think they are here. And that brings me right back to Post #1: hit publish... freak out.

There are words I rarely say in my everyday life (like "holla" and "yo") and words I say all the time (like "dude" and "fuck") yet I use all of them here without mercy. There are things I write about my kids and The Kid and me that I wouldn't dare bother saying out loud to anyone in actual public, but sometimes I worry that I am repeating some sorry old story to someone who's already read it before. Which has happened. Which is weird.

And truth be told, there are times I literally hold one hand back from the publish button, sit and stew for a while, worrying about eyeballs and whose eyeballs and fuck! I could make myself crazy and truth be told, I'm kind of doing that right now. Which is all kinds of ridiculous and maybe even narcissistic and why should I care anyway because when I go on Oprah with all my bloggy friends after we streak through the next Blogher conference (really: please click on that link, because that's some funny shit by Jen W via CarolynOnline) ... well, what else left is there to hide?

Still, STILL, I gotta grow some balls or something because the local lurkers are kinda worrying me. (This is the part where the local lurkers might get all bummed out -- which is NOT THE POINT -- because we really should be worrying about me right now, shouldn't we? So, anyway...)

**** RELEVANT INTERLUDE****

This very nice woman who Drinks and Cusses (she had me at "drinks" and "cusses") threw a kick ass salutation my way -- because apparently I KICK ASS, (yo) (see sidebar if you want and also your comment box, because that's where I gotta throw down the accolade, once I figure out how to). She also invited me all bloggy style to write about seven things no one knows about me.

I am hoping that this post gives me the pass I need on that one, because right about now, I am thinking I might be kicked out of the Small Town (what with all the drinking and cussing) (and trash talk) (and less than stellar parenting) and anyway she wrote two things that could just about sum up my seven:

"3. On people: I don't understand people who are brag-a-docious. And I don't trust people who don't drink, or don't like me.

5. I had always felt that I could get away with smartass humor like a guy, but at this point in the late spring (or early Fall?) of my life, I've realized that, in fact, I cannot. It pisses me off that they can be taken for themselves and women are judged strictly on appearance and first impressions. That's why i like it HERE."

See? She also wears straw hats. Nice.

**** END RELEVANT INTERLUDE ****

Lest you think I am pondering a path of untruthiness, I am not. It's been raining for pretty much ever in New England and I dare anyone not to get all down and wishy washy during a deluge. Bear with me my introspection, my wistful, my whine.

I once read this (from an actual book; Thoreau, if you must know) and I've had it scrawled inside a lot of notebooks:
"Pursue, keep up with, circle round and round your life, as a dog does his master's chaise. Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it, unearth it, and gnaw it still."

Right now, my bone is about two inches down. And I'm not sure I'm giving it the full dig.

25commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Amy said...

Holla.

unmitigated me said...

I'm heading back to my classroom soon, and seriously fear being "outed" at school. There are parents where I work that would go right to the superintendent over some of the things I write. Working hard to keep it separate. Keep being yourself. It's wonderful writing.

Anonymous said...

Okay.
I am the captain of the local lurkers' team. Well, not entirely true. I'm more like their (or is it YOUR) cheer leader. "Have you seen Ms. Picket's blog today? You HAVE to read it! I was crying I was laughing so hard! Go read it already!!" That's me. To whoever will listen in this sometimes quirky little town we live in.
But...please don't stop blogging! I love what you write, and I'd hate to be deprived of it. Please don't think this is like - I don't know - creepy or something weird. I just enjoy reading you, BHJ, Dooce, Carolyn, and Queen of S.S. Every day. It's ritual!
While I completely get the angst you're feeling - in fact it cripples me from time to time in my own life - I will counsel you to ignore it and follow Thoreau's advice. Apparently the guy was wicked smaht.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

things that make you go hmmm...

so local people may know...which b/c I am not in your situation, it would be hard for me to comment on - I don't have a blog. I still drive 15 mins. over the border of my parent's hometown for salsa just so I don't bump into anyone whose family I know.

So, perhaps a story is repeated...capitalize on it while you are in your 30's vs. the 60's - when you are referred to as Grammy. Sharing these experiences as you do can be priceless.

Keep up the good work. Because thoughts so deep are work.

p.s. Ms. Picket - I would have used bigger and better words, but I don't know if spell check is going to work on this...

patty said...

No answers here. New to blogging, fairly new to you, and grappling with some of the same questions myself.

But I applaud you for digging just a little deeper every time I read you.

Major Bedhead said...

What susie t said.

Jen W said...

MUST.NOT.STOP.BLOGGING. You will completely ruin my morning coffee routine.

That said, I completely understand that you may not want/need to put 100% of yourself, your life, on the Internet. I would say I only put about 25% of me on there and I think either way is okay. It should be therapeutic, not stressful

Lisa said...

Wow, do I ever know how you feel! It's a fine line. I work and play in the community I live in and when I write I constantly keep that in mind. It kind of hinders me in a way because I'd love to drop the occasional f-bomb just for dramatic emphasis, but I refrain...I'm the teacher of young minds after all! I know I have one local reader who might pop in to read my blog on occasion ::waves wildly to Maria:: but I think my secret is safe with her!
I equate it to being really careful not to partake in one too many glasses of wine at a kid's birthday party. The last thing I need is for a parent to go running to the principal telling her one of her k teachers is a wino!
Keep writing, my morning just wouldn't be the same!

formerly fun said...

The reason why so many people, especially moms love reading blogs is it is one of the few places women tell the truth. The percieved anomynity allows us to be more truthful because we don't have the fear of immediate judgement.

So we talk about stupid things we did to our kids, bad decisions, the perils, pitfalls and platitudes of married life, the excitement and lonliness of single life, the pain of divorce and the death and more.

We talk more frankly about sex, brazilian bikini waxes, our fears, hopes, insecurities and issues. Like many women writers before us, and we are writers, just in a more democratic medium, a few of us say what's on the minds of many.

I too sometimes worry about censure from others but I console myself and write freely knowing I'm echoing far more women than I'm alienating. Keep at it, I think we give each other courage.

RhoRho said...

YO! I will totally streak with you at the next BlogHer conference. No matter now much cellulite I have. Just HOLLA.
(and thanx; you won't be kicked outta the small town now)>

LilSass said...

Formerly fun just TOTALLY hit the nail on the head. ALL of us are taking risks on this thing called the blogosphere. Some are attention whores and some are party-pooper judgmental bitches but they're really few and far between.

I think we all "get" why everyone else is here. To hide, to lurk, to share, to confess, to laugh, and more. And once we all let our guard down, we really are all alike. Same motives, different lives. So if you came into this wanting to share and unload and laugh and cry, then keep on keepin' on. The local yocals can get on board and enjoy the ride or shut the fuck up! ;-)

Heather said...

Hey there. I really understood this post. I have family and possible community lurkers too. It makes it harder. I even censored myself a little this week. That said, do what is right for you.

I just know that my little blog gives me a voice that I needed.

Warm wishes.

Floaterie said...

um ya. Things I also freak about.

See--my little ditty started out as a way to keep people on the up and up with the chitlins and, as is my personality, I took it over more as a personal space and not so much cutesy shit about the wee ones. So, the thing is...I KNOW some friends and family read it. And I know even more of them lurk. It's hard when I want to put so much more of myself on it and for the most part I am not that different in life--i.e. I cuss constantly, am loud, and yup! I drink IRL too.....BUT, I still would like to say more but, I don't. I often think of doing another, different blog that I could put done more of myself but, I'm sure I'd still have issues there too.

What I'm saying is that it shouldn't matter if people you know read it. If they love you for YOU than they'll appreciate your writing. And if they don't, well, they don't deserve to read it.

Because you, m'lady, are the bees knees. And the cats meow.

And maybe I should take my own advice. sheesh.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I think it's awesome you don't really censor yourself much. I do, because everyone I know reads my site and I have a mortal fear of pissing anyone off. But you, Ms. Picket, are a fearless and talented writer, and that is just wikked cool.

Carolyn...Online said...

Dude... Dude. You have to write becuase you have to write. You have to be honest and truthful because you're you. You have to worry a little becuase we're women and that's what we do. You may not let it all get you down. We won't let it. And they're not lurkers, they're your local fan base.

Leslie said...

This was wonderful. It's descriptive of my blogging experience as well. I've been thinking about that more and more as I participate in that blogging study I posted about a few days ago. It's my therapy.

Bogging makes me think more, view people differently and experience life differently.

And the lurkers are always an issue but we're big girls. We know that what we put out here will get read. AND if someone doesn't like the cussing, then they don't like the inside of my brain--which I pretty much knew already.

And, dude, one of my super-secret blogging goals is to get invited with a group of cooleos to attend Blogher. Um. So much for that "secret".

Leslie said...

Oh, and if you quit blogging, I'll hunt you down, get you drunk and force you to type.

PandaMom said...

As a mom around the corner from the lovely Ms. P., I have to say that I am 0% lurker and 150% FAN -- that's FAN with a capital F! And, if you stop blogging, I will be deeply depressed, not only because I'll miss my daily dose of laughter, but because it will actually feel like a friend has stopped talking to me. I totally get your hesitation. I feel that way too every time one of my articles runs in the paper. I'm just waiting for someone to jump on me for something I wrote that was wrong, or offensive because it hit on whatever hang up they have. I have two quotes for you that have been saving my sanity lately and helping me keep taking the chances that make life the exciting, mistake-making, experience it should be:

1. Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

2. Feel the fear, and do it anyway.

Love ya Ms. P!

Lipstick Jungle said...

Ok, I have just found you a few weeks ago, and will.not allow you to quit!

I do however understand your woe's. I found out that someone on my Board was reading my blog when my son was sick last year - and she never quit. So in my post bitching about one of my Board members, she saw it - and called me on it. Thank God it wasnt about her!

GL, but dont quit blogging!

Meg said...

I admire you because you are equally irreverent and thoughtful.

I'm struggling with similar issues myself. My whole 'not blogging about beer' series was in response to a friend telling me I blog about beer too much (and drink it too much).

Another friend who is witness to the disintegrating relationship between me and spousal unit is sensitive to me exposing it to the world--as is spousal unit.

Thing is--I would like to be more honest, but it's hard to do without upsetting folks and being disrespectful.

Who owns my experience? Do I have to wait for them all to die before I can be honest?

I sincerely hope you don't.

Anonymous said...

Hey there, Ms. Picket...as a Local Lurker fan, please know your blog is a community service. The Bad Mommy Needs a Vodka STAT contingent relies on you for little balance. We need you on the days we've screamed FUUUUCK! at the the Small Town market after our kids have played "waterfall" with the gallon of milk, and we need you after we see our sins brought to light in the Small Town paper. Your efforts makes some of us feel a little less lonely, a little more like there's a community connected not just by coffee but by actual ideas, not by volunteer hours logged but by references to the written word. Please keep it up. The suburbs are a lot of work; we need your perspective.

cIII said...

It's like my Dad used to say....
"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke." Seriously. No greater words have ever been spoken.
You do your thing ms picket. I got cha back.
-“Buy the ticket, take the ride.”
HST (RIP)

Momo Fali said...

The locals probably enjoy what they're reading! And if they don't, they're weird.

Me? I'm gnawing hard.

Anonymous said...

Two things. I'm having the same problem. EXACT SAME. Do you write a post greeting the people and letting them know that you know that they know? Or do you ignore the whole thing and resume as normal, risking saying something about them or someone they know? It's a tough one. Please share when you come up with the solution.
Second, how did I not see that guest post on Carolyn Online? Holy shit, I was laughing so hard. I love your comment, too! Can't wait for further adventures with the three of us!

Anonymous said...

Wait, guess that's four of us, duh!