Thursday, July 31, 2008

More Wikkid Smaht Kids

When I am not busy enhancing my own intellectual mojo, I occasionally try to build the wee brains of the Short Drunk People. No, seriously! I do! Sometimes I pass along life lessons and sometimes I focus on more traditional lessons (like reading) so that I can justify my existence I can insure they move out and go to college one day I can help them develop a life-long love of learning.

I do this sporadically (natch) and usually after I have spent wads of cash at a book store. Which I did today with the GFYO while the girls were sweating their butts off at soccer camp. It was fun! Books are awesome! And there are loads and loads of them!

We got busy almost right away, me and the GFYO. Whipped through the "There is a Monster at the End of This Book" book in which I read every word and whipped through the Scooby book in which I read every seventh word. Then we moved on to the one about letters.

It wasn't so good. The GFYO is not so smaht.



It went like this:

Me: This letter is B. Buh, buh. B!
Me: (Starting at the top left, moving clockwise) What's this?
GFYO: Mommy's cleaning thing.
Me: Close! Brush!
Me: What's this?
GFYO: Soccer ball!
Me: Close again! Ball!
Me: This one?
GFYO: Nana!
Me: BUH-nana. B. Buh. Buh.
Me: This?
GFYO: Cards?
Me: (What the?) That's a book, dude.
Me: This is...
GFYO: BATH!
Me: Yaayyyy! Good work. (I skip to the easy one, hedging my bets) This one?
GFYO: Balloon.
Me: YES! You are wikkid smaht! Now, how about this one? Remember: buh buh...

GFYO, thoughtfully: Buh.. Buh.. BUH-SHOVEL!??!

Thankfully, the GFYO has a future in dance.

20commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Jasper Mockingbard said...

Whatever happened to partial credit? Soccer ball is half right, isn't it?

Lipstick Jungle said...

I love it love it love it! And I agree, a half check mark, or half "X" is appropriate for soccer ball! And for creativity, I would give credit for "moms cleaning thing" because it not only proves you DO clean, but that there is attention being paid to such cleaning, therefore an opportunity to create a new slave, er, um, cleaning buddy! :)

Just a thought!

Lipstick Jungle said...

Of course I would never insinuate you DONT clean... Im just saying! :) And for the record - the reason I am sad my daughter is leaving for a month has nothing to do with the fact that I am losing my slave, er, um, my cleaning buddy! ;)

Jen W said...

LOL!!!!! I am howling with laughter right now. I've soooo been there!

Carolyn...Online said...

Buh-Shovel!

We used to do that with the books. Then I'd call Scott, "Dude, our kids are retarded."

Heather said...

I hate the term "life-long love of learning/reading." I think you cracked the code.
Don't worry my just 5 year old writes: QHSTWUIWGEL and makes us read it to her.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Wait . . . where's the picture of the buh-buh-beer?

Aimee said...

Ya I tried that stuff too. Baby G kept calling everything a whatchamacallit. Sigh. Let's hope he gets an athletic scholarship!

Leslie said...

I just have to ask . . . how old is he?

Oh. And Jasper is totally picking fights with you over on my site. Both late last night on yesterday's post and today. It's smackdown time!

Jasper Mockingbard said...

laggin is a pot-stirrer and tattletale!

MsPicketToYou said...

GFYO is Giant Four Year Old. I am not expecting Mensa from the kid, but seriously people, there isn't even a shovel in the bucket.

oh, jasper. must i come over and kick your ass? again?

ps: for those of you unclear about all of this, check out Laggin. me and jasper and some other clowns have totally hitched a ride on her family vacation.

cIII said...

There is so a Shovel. You're just no using the Third eye. Or maybe it's just one of my flashbacks....cause it's gone now. D. Duh. Duh. Damnit!

Leslie said...

JaspER,

I am the MOM on the trip. Therefore, I am judge, jury and executioner. Got it?

Heart you,
Laggin

Aimee said...

RYC: I am an ocean person too. This lake is better in more than one way...it's cleaner and no sharks or scary stinging things. There is nothing in this water unless you go out to the deep sea part and in order to get something you need to go 80 feet below the surface.
Ocean wins because there are no dolphins or neon fish here.

LiteralDan said...

You're being too hard on the kid, for sure-- a soccer ball is a soccer ball. I demand a buh-recount.

Jasper Mockingbard said...

I understand, completely...

laggin: You're not my real mom! I hate you! I want to go home!

picket: nanny nanny boo boo! stick your head in...

Samantha said...

I knew I should have made him get that Pre-K work book instead of the Diego coloring book!

Samantha said...

I knew I should have made him get that Pre-K work book instead of the Diego coloring book!

Momo Fali said...

I would totally give credit for buh-shovel! That's brilliant!

RhoRho said...

Yo come over and check me out, nominated you for kickass blogger club cuz U R.