Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Confession or Step One

My name is Ms Picket. And I need to confess something.

Peer pressure from my so-called friends (you know who you are JESSICA and LISA) got the better of me and I did what I swore I would never do. It starts with Face and ends with Book. I really can't say the word out loud, much less type it for all the world to read. Which is an obvious hyperbole: I do believe only half the world is reading this.

Admitting it is a good thing I guess, but I still feel all needy twit for doing so. I mean, isn't the whole social networking thing a little, um, unnecessary when I have in fact no net to work? Does that even make sense? Do people work their nets? What in the hell am I even talking about?

The whole point of my ramble (yes, half the world, there is a freakin' point) is that my whole week long foray into the world of the Face ends with Book has resulted in a rather hilarious walk down memory lane. Who knew so many of my elementary school classmates would grow up to be social networkers too?

Anyhoo, one of the first old friends to "friend" me -- a concept I find funny and also horrifying at the same time, kind of like asking someone to dance and standing around waiting for hours for an answer -- was Kristin (she of the hair caught in the blender days and not the Kristin of Going Country).

Kristin and I were pretty much inseparable from first meeting. I think we had matching missing front teeth and that probably sealed the deal. We had the same teacher in first grade, but even when we didn't, we were in the same "special class." Which is a really indelicate way of saying a "gifted class" which is a really pretentious way of saying "a class for kids who were bored and potentially disruptive and needed to be pulled out of traditional school for a few hours a week to build outer space cities out of cardboard boxes." Naturally, I loved special class. And so did Kristin.

Once, when we went on vacations with our families, we decided to each keep a journal we would share when we returned. The journal would not be about the places we visited or the food we ate; it would be loaded with all the words we liked the most. One of mine was inflammable (and it still is, truth be told).

When John Lennon died, we were ten and obviously deeply impacted by his passing and so spent an entire weekend making a "Gentle Beatle" collage about peace and music and love.

We made up plays to Shel Silverstein poems and performed them for our parents.

We had code words -- "d" was for "deodorant" which was terrifically deceptive. We had our own short hand -- instead of saying "hi, how are you, i'm fine," we'd say "hi... and all that jazz" which was terrifically efficient.

We decided that the lemon that was tied to the tether that you swung around your ankle (you know the one) smelled like pee. And then proceeded to smell it for about an hour.

In seventh grade, I switched to a new school. I was playing soccer; she was diving. We both found out that boys were pretty cool (maybe even cooler than journals filled with cool words; we were half-right about that) and by high school, I had moved out of the state. We'd see each other at parties from time to time and spend hours laughing and hugging and chatting and drinking. In college, when we both were kind of swimming upstream, we did the same laughing and talking at Dead shows: she shaved her head once, I was pathetically trying to grow dread locks. Good times.

My sister would bump into her parents so I got some updates over the years: she had graduated, she had moved, she got a job, or another job, she was happy, she was newly married. And every time I would hear dribs and drabs from her now seemingly distant life, I would think, "would she still remember our code words? our plays? would she remember how much stinkin' fun we used to have?"

So Face ends with Book comes along, I grudgingly sign up, and who should come knocking on my virtual door? And who should start reading my virtual life as Ms Picket? Kristin. (Half the world, say hello to Kristin. Kristin, say hello to half the world.) Turns out she has three of her own Short Drunk People, grew her hair back into a more conservative style, and moved to the 'burbs, which sounds eerily familiar. I imagine from time to time, she even gets the occasional whiff of pee, which though a lot less funny than it was in 3rd grade, she probably still laughs at. I'm kind of beside myself that after 30 years, she and I can totally build virtual outer space cities together again.

If the blogging world is like really inexpensive group therapy and/or a virtual bridge club where all the guests drink and swear and bitch and moan and make you feel totally welcome even if you have stains all over your shirt, then maybe the Face(fuckit)book thing is not as completely lame as I thought. And maybe accepting that is the first step to recovery.

My name is Ms Picket and I like the Internet.

18commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...

Ok first of all: Kristen - Hi, and all that jazz.

Second: Ms. Picket, admitting it is the first step as they say. I think I feel the same way about Twitter that you felt about Face...Book. Just. Won't. Do. It.

But isn't a blog basically like a Facebook but of just YOUR face?

MsPicketToYou said...

Carolyn -- you are half-right: a blog is totally about my face (my pie in the face) but Facebook is totally like matchdotcom for all the faces of my elementary school. That's all it is.

And yo, dude: twitter never. never ever.

Anonymous said...

If you can imagine, I have also have some opinions about the social networking site that shall not be named. I'm on it. I don't know that I want to be necessarily, and so far, I'm mostly caught up in the people who have found me that I'd have rather kept in the past. (Apologies to those whom I've not returned "friend" invitations.)

But if I had a friend like Kristen, I'm sure I'd be all over it ...and all that jazz.

And I will not Twitter.

Samantha said...

I hope you never reach the sad stalking stage of face(fuckit)book that my generation has reached. It's addictive, dangerous, and frankly sad. But I will never delete my facebook, it's my one and only vice (lie).

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Facebook? I know nothing of this place. Because, as I may have mentioned before, I am totally lame and not very hip.

BUT! How cool is it that your elementary school best friend was named Kristin? And she even spells it right!

Lynsey said...

Hello my name is Lynsey and I'm addicted to myspace.

Can't beleive I just admited that. :/

Anonymous said...

I am so facebooking you right now.

oh, and welcome Kristin!!

Kevin McKeever said...

A fellow blogger convinced me to FB this week. Same experience with oldclassmates. Yet to know whether this is good.

But my blog hits have skyrocketed!

MsPicketToYou said...

uncool -- that is TOTALLY because you frequent postpicket. where HALF THE WORLD goes.

duh.

Jen W said...

I have to admit, I'm a Twitterer. (eek!) It helps me keep track of the short, humorous things my kids say that don't necessarily warrant a complete blog post.

Amy said...

K. I'll admit it, someone asked me to sign up and I did and now I talk to a couple friends that I had completely lost touch with and I am so happy. So if you want, I'll be your facebook friend to. It's kind of goofy, but kinda fun.

Jon said...

I feel you. I am all up in the internet, and when I'm not, I'm working on something to go on internet. I have to slow down soon or my head might explode.

Meg said...

You are soooo mainstream now.

My sister-in-law wants me to join FB so we can be friends. I find that odd.

But with you over there, I just might (I'm already on Cre8buzz and I can't seem to keep up with that).

As part of your inexpensive group therapy, seems you also joined Humor-Blogs. Hurry and get that link up so I can start clicking.

ps My favorite poets are Lennon and Silverstein, too. And Tweedy, of course.

Anonymous said...

Man, I feel like I just went back in time there with you. More stories about Kristin!

Floaterie said...

oh man. I am there with you. And I my--Yes I am a freakin 32 year old loser-space it too.

but, I have reconnected with some old friends--and distant relatives too.

and hello Kristin!

Manager Mom said...

Ms Picket, I'm in your support group. But I swallowed the Facebook kool-aid a LONG time ago. Wanna friend me and stuff?

P.s. DO NOT sign up for Twitter. It might be even more addictive than blogging...

Major Bedhead said...

I blew up my facebook account quite a while back. All the pokes and pies in the face was highly annoying. Plus that whole breastfeeding thing bugged the shit out of me.

Leslie said...

I FB because I am spy-mom and have teenagers. Very useful tool in that regard. The oddest thing is the way they announce the beginnings and endings of their relationships with FB. Can you imagine the angst of seeing the end of your relationship announced there? Ye gods . . . more ways for high schoolers to be evil.

The high school acquaintances out-of-the-woodwork stuff is an odd side-"benefit" to jointing FB.