Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Ants are Marching

Except these dudes are not coming in two-by-two: they are coming in Russian army style, line after freakin' line. I believe they have tiny helmets on and tiny bayonets.

I am totally taking out my tiny machine gun and blowing them all away.

*****

Except I do not have a tiny machine gun and I'm sorta a pacifist. (Though I did once throw myself in the middle of a fist fight the Stud was in -- defending my honor, he was, that chivalrous fool. He is 6'4"; I am 5'3"; my black eye proved he did not need my help. My mother was not impressed. Ahhhh... youth.) But I hate these miserable ants with a passion that should put me on the PETA watch list. I loathe them. I despise them. I am thinking in lieu of the tiny machine gun, I might teach the GFYO the whole magnifying glass and sun trick. Which seems cruel, and also, he might burn our house down. Which would mean the ants had won. They could march through the ashes of our home (looking for discarded popsicle wrappers no doubt) and no one would even SEE them.

*****

I tell the Three Short Drunk People, "who needs a dog? we have these bloody ants!" and R says, "the ant is BLOODY?! where? i wanna see!"

*****

I go to the hardware store (truly one my favorite places; even the crabby old she-man behind the counter amuses me; I will make that hag smile some day, I swear to it) and I search through the pest control aisle. There are many many products for killing ants. They all seems wickedly toxic. I mull over a fly swatter. I leave with nothing.

*****

The entire front line of the Russian Ant Army moves across my cook top. I decide the kids will eat cold, leftover chicken tonight. They are not pleased (they rarely are with my culinary wizardry -- Jerry Seinfield's wife can suck it) and I say, "do you want grilled cheese sandwiches with ants in them?" And B says, "jeez moooooom: it's just an ant" and I say "you are so afraid of bugs it is not even funny; do not get all cooler than thou with me now, missy" and she says, "you need to get a grip." Which she actually didn't say, but I know she was thinking it. Because I have mad skills that way, like ESP and shit.

*****

I sit in front of the fan. Directly in front. My kids are hot and in a heap and watching Shear Genius. The contestants are cutting hair to look like famous cartoon characters: Marge Simpson, Betty Boop, etc. I need a hair cut. I unloop the ponytail holder. I check the length of my mop mane and lo and freaking behold, there is a mother lovin' ant in my god damn hair.

*****

I consider burning the house down myself.

18commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Anonymous said...

I read this, and look to my left assuming I'll see a trail of ants creeping to my desktop.

We get them by the zillion as well. I wish I could remember the least toxic remedy. I think I use one of those orange oil based sprays.

Kristin @ Going Country said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin @ Going Country said...

Ants in a grilled cheese sandwich--eh, more protein. Ants in your HAIR? BRING ON THE POISON!

I had a seriously traumatic experience with a roach infestation in my very first apartment, and to this day, I can't open a cupboard without cringing.

Carolyn...Online said...

Poison the groundwater!!! Raid Ant and Roach spray. I know, it seems like a bad thing to spray in the face of your children.. poisons, toxins, blah blah. We're talking about bugs! In your hair!

Meredith said...

ants suck

Major Bedhead said...

Borax? I think that's supposed to do the trick.

I always just used ant traps, hidden behind things. My mother gets carpenter ant infestations and finally gave up and called an exterminator. Which, if I found an ant? In my hair? Would be phoned in about a nanosecond. *shudder*

Manager Mom said...

We are bretheren in Ant Misery.

After sprays, traps, glues, and chanting, I threw in the towel and hired Terminix. Expensive, but you don't have to witness the killing.

Samantha said...

Carl says if you want to make the "crabby old she man" smile you have to talk about the weather... in m opinion she just hates happy housewives.

Amy said...

Although I feel awful about your ant situation and i am to a person who picks up spiders and gently tosses them out the door, call the exterminator, quick. Besides that, this was really funny. I needed a good laugh to start my day, which is now. Thanks...... Rid yourself of those pests, (the ants, not the kids....)

Kevin McKeever said...

Know the pain. I just sprayed and caulked every hole and crack in the kitchen again.

Jen W said...

Okay- Now I can't stop scratching my head. Eek! Ants in your hair???

Maybe you can have GFYO help you out...my 4 year old likes to spit on ants and drown them.

Meredith said...

Ms Picket,

Can't find your email address at the moment but saw your post on Carolyn's blog about the Corey. YOU SAW THAT TOO - I'm so excited because I needed to discuss that with someone:)

meredithmiami@gmail.com

Momo Fali said...

Once, after a July 4th party and too many uneaten burgers thrown into the outside trash can...we got maggots. Makes me want to gag just thinking about it. They were all over our driveway. My husband took a blow torch to them, and they still wouldn't die. I hope you have better luck with your ants.

Lynsey said...

I HATE HATE HATE ants! And in your hair, ewwweeee...I would be itching and feeling those suckers on me for days and days! Put lemon juice at all the entrances and any place you suspect they're coming in...ants won't cross it so I've been told! Good luck...!

Russ said...

We had an ant problem earlier this spring. I took to cleaning every horizontal, and most vertical, surfaces with bleach every day for a week(ish) and that seemed to do the trick. I'll still touch up with bleach again every couple of days just to remind them to bugger (I amuse me) off.

Anonymous said...

I have ants too, I found one crawling on my neck this morning, which is a really weird way to say "HELLO! I HAVE NOT SPOKEN TO YOU IN YEARS!"

LiteralDan said...

Oooh, ants are indeed fearsome foes. Whenever you think you've taken care of them all, you'll find 5 more. Good luck, soldier.

Anonymous said...

My Small Town duaghter saw the bag from the hardware store last week as our own Ant Nagasaki was underway. "The helpful place" reads their tag line. "Um, Mommy?" she asks. "Do you think they know that they're not really all that helpful?"