Saturday, July 19, 2008

Puffy and Stung

Within three hours, five of the the ten children were suffering the lashes of a slew of nasty red jelly fish. The first kid felt "tingly" and then felt hysterical and soon after, forgot how to use language and also how to swim. She was towed in by someone else's sweet-talking father into her mother's arms (that would be me) who tried to explain that a summertime sting is pretty much a rite of passage, much like losing a first tooth or wiping out on a scooter. Naturally, she could not hear me, what with all the howling, so she missed the part where I explained the options: wait about ten minutes for the pain to subside or LET SOMEONE PEE ON YOU.

She heard the latter strategy as it contained the words PEE and YOU and were not in the order she might have liked.

A couple more hysterical minutes passed before someone else's quick-thinking mother filled a cup with the elixir and offered it up, unflinchingly and without the slightest blush. She got eyeball to eyeball with my screaming kid (who by now could see the stings erupting all over her body -- more horror!) and explained how clean "elixir" is and why "elixir" works and that sometimes you just have to do weird things.

Suffice it to say, elixir works like a charm. When the four other kids came running to shore equally lashed and puffy, the pee thing was just the obvious choice. Duh. Like a new rite of passage.

Lessons are learned in strange and unexpected ways, and yesterday's were some of the best:

1) When hurt or scared or stung or bitten or freaked out, it is best to keep breathing, talking, swimming, or walking.

2) Always, in almost all circumstances, take a deep thoughtful breath before acting, weigh all the options in front of you, and make the simplest, most effective, least damaging choice.

3) Sometimes the right choice will seem gross or contrary to traditional reasoning. Choose it anyway.

4) You will know your true friends by their willingness to offer you "elixir" or consequently, to accept yours.

10commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolyn...Online said...

Ahhh their first urine cured crisis. I had my friend's son pee all over both my girls legs. She stared at me, "What the hell are doing?" I'm curing jellyfish stings of course. Then she pulled out a bottle of vinegar she carries for just such an occassion. Whatever the pee was way cooler.

unmitigated me said...

Wow. You learn something new every day. The worst we have to worry about with the Great Lakes is cutting our feet on zebra mussels.

Nash's Mom said...

That was so totally worth going to the air conditioned library so you could share with the masses! Pee for everyone!! Miss you!

Kevin McKeever said...

We're having a rash of the jellies up this way, too. I best drink mucho beer at the beach to have the necessary remedy on hand.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

That reminds me of the "Friends" episode. I don't recall ever using this remedy when we were living in Hawaii and constantly in danger from the man-o-war, but I do remember walking along the beach and deflating the washed up man-o-wars by poking with a stick. What an idyllic childhood I had . . .

I hope you're having fun--stings and howls aside.

Samantha said...

Oh no I can't wait to hear about this one from the kids when you get back!!!

Just so we're clear, I'm not allowed to say "YOU GOT PEED ON!" am i?

Manager Mom said...

Further proof as well that pee is actually liquid gold.

Momo Fali said...

I would have total elixir stage fright!! I wouldn't be any help whatsoever!

Hoorah to you for letting someone give you this information and using it, and hoorah to the other someone who gave you that cup!

LilSass said...

Haha, when I read this, I was thinking, "THEY DRANK THE PEE??" Clearly it was not you who was confused. It was me who was illiterate and not understanding that this was not an 'injested' elixir. *phew*!