Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dear Nice Lady Who Cuts My Hair

I know we don't hang out as much as you would probably like and certainly not as much as I probably need, but still, it's always good spending time with you. Even when you explain to your apprentice that I'm a Level 12 or 500 or some other ridiculous number because of the amount of premature gray hair I have, I still love you. Even when you chastise me for letting my hair "go" like this and suggest I wear hats more often, I still love you. Even when you explain that a blow dryer is "my friend" and not a weapon, I still love you. And when you mention that I have the freakiest texture ever? I still adore you.

The cape you let me borrow is so charming in a blousey, breezy, plastic kind of way. And nothing says "HOT" like forty pieces of tin foil sticking out of my head. Or better yet, hanging over my eyes so that when some better-soled broad says, "Msssss Piccckkket? Is that you under there?", I can say yes but still have no idea who I'm talking to.

When it's obvious that I'm wondering if all the other ladies have dressed-up to get their hair cut done, you always seem to sense my anxiety. That's when you kick off our celebrity gossip chat, which you know I will appreciate for the obvious reasons and also because it will keep my mind off the fact that my bag is pretty ugly and out of date compared to everyone else's. And rope bracelets are kind of "out."

Never mind, you silently say, as you lop off two inches of dead blond hair and cut long bangs ala Nicole Richie or some other young thing I pretend to know. You don't ask me about my kids (have you forgotten I have them? me too), but instead, we chat about bands we like and shows we're going to (you: Coldplay, me: Springsteen) and for a minute there, I feel entirely cool. You spin me around in the chair and I am beginning to see less of the paint on my shorts and more of the styled me I might be if I cared more. A few more snips and swipes, some expert blow drying, and voila! you've done it again: shinier, straighter, cleaner, milfier.

And to top it all off, you do not say one thing about my crappy bag (overstuffed and coffee-stained), but instead compliment my toe ring, an accessory that seems to be entirely lacking on typical clients. And I feel happy. And girly. And I have you to thank, Nice Lady Who Cuts My Hair.

When I swear that I won't shower for days to stay looking this hot, you laugh and think I'm funny, which is funny, because I really won't shower for days. But let's just keep that our little secret.

Love,

Ms. Picket

11commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Amy said...

Nothing better than someone else doing your hair and doing it well. For a while my hairdresser, who happens to be my best friend lived with us. It was some of my happiest (read:best hair) days ever.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Milfier. That's a great word, right there.

Don't feel bad--I get my hair cut at Supercuts about every six months. So at least you can feel greatly superior to me, if not to the other women at your salon.

Meg said...

I so need to get me one of those toe rings!

Floaterie said...

Ya--I don;t get to see my hair lady as often as either one of us would like. Isn't 2x a year sufficient?? ha!

And I have had a toe ring on each foot that have been there soooo long that (ick factor here)....I have permanent indents on my toes. Milfier indeed.

Anonymous said...

She must have gone to the same school as my guy. I never feel more fabulous than with the man who assures me I'm not really going gray, and when I do, no one (except he and I) will ever know.

And milfier - quick, add it to the urban dictionary!

Jen W said...

I love getting my hair done now. I used to hate it because the people who used to cut my hair never could blow dry it and style it the way I wanted but my current lady does a bang up job.

I too don't want to shower for days afterwards. Although, last time I went, she asked me if I was interested in dying my eyebrows!?! What's that about??? I confess, it made me love her a little less.

RhoRho said...

I knew I wrote you about our cool straw hats but have no idear where... Oh and get this: I got asked out on..a...PLAYDATE! today via email. It's like she read my blog and is fucking with me. But this chick is just an acquaintance and I dont think she knows about it...? cosmic.

Major Bedhead said...

Whatever about the hair, I am so. freaking. jealous. that you are going to Springsteen. Will you shed a little tear for me if he plays Thunder Road? Pretty please?

Heather said...

I always worry about my handbag at the hair dressers. I haven't started a relationship with anyone yet...I need to get that done.

Also, I have seen Coldplay and Springsteen; both great shows.

Carolyn...Online said...

Milfier. Hahaha.

Bruce sings to me every time. I know it SEEMS like he's just facing my section of the arena but he is actually singing to ME. Patty gets so jealous.

Jasper Mockingbard said...

Um, I never have a problem with the girl who cuts my hair. Is that a problem? Should I even be commenting on this? I feel weird.