Saturday, July 5, 2008

You Look Like a Monkey

And you smell like one too.

The 4th of July, it turns out, is not much more to the Three Short Drunk People who live in my house than a big town-wide birthday party. They see a party on someone's porch and they figure they are invited and barge right in. They see other people's snacks at the beach and they figure they can help themselves. And most of the time, it works out alright.

The Small Town has been in feverish celebration mode for two days straight now. We can hear the bands (that start at noon) from our backyard. Currently, it sounds like really awful karaoke. (Note to bar bands: do not under any circumstance perform Jefferson Airplane in public. No one wants to feed their head.) The streets are jammed; Japanese tourists with maps! Stroller convoys! Madras everywhere!

Drinking starts early and ends late. Everything is grilled and arrives in a bun or on a stick. I have seen way too many dudes marching around with plastic lobsters sewn onto Red Sox hats. Lobsters and the Red Sox pretty much equals freedom and liberty here.

Our model boat, built this morning for the Regatta at 3:00, clearly had a busted GPS: it raced off at the start and three times in a stinking row tacked 180 degrees and headed right home to shore. The GFYO did NOT fall in however, so we all considered it a win-win.

God Bless the small town, but I seriously need a nap, possibly a blood transfusion, and a decent parking spot.





11commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Amy said...

That sounds nice. We are away and saw no fireworks, so thanks for the picture of yours.

Carolyn...Online said...

OMG your town is so adorable I want to knit it a hat and tuck it in bed.

Jen W said...

I hear ya about the food on a stick. You would not believe the number of corn dogs my family has consumed over the last 72 hours.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

My condolences on the tourists. I get crazy enough with the tourists in our tiny village when I can't park DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the village market. Do not make me walk 20 feet, people in loafers and Martha's Vineyard t-shirts! But then, I'm not very patient.

Aimee said...

Take out the sox replace with a D, or a red wing, no Japanese people (nobody of color really comes here.) and you have my town. Plus...we have a beer tent, and big huge 'merican made hillbilly trucks.

Carolyn...Online said...

It's me again. Do share your iPod playlist with us.

Meg said...

Nice photos. Looks like you live in Maine or the Northwest.

My weekend is very quite different. Took my suburban white kids to a Detroit music fest to see George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic. Remember them--that late 70s funk-jazz-jam band?

Quite a cultural experience and very fun!

Meg said...

You see, I do more than Jeff Tweedy!!!

Heather said...

Hmm, we did a woodsy version of that on a Midwestern River. Our "tourists" come from Chicago.

Momo Fali said...

I took that start drinking early and ending late thing way too literally this past weekend! Margaritas go with everything!

Anonymous said...

Was that a week or a weekend?
So much to do between the parades, cookouts and fireworks - and baby naps! Glad you had fun on the Island. Too hard for us to bring the pack-n-play!

Funny - ended my weekend with Margaritas too. Must be the perfect drink after you have had way to many pink ones!