Monday, July 7, 2008

She Yawned, She Cried, She Grew Up?

I'm tired.

Tired in all ways that a girl can be tired: body tired, brain tired, heart tired.

After the non-stop-woo-hoo-aren't-we-fun-and-young of the weekend (which was quite possibly the longest ever), I am feeling old. Old because my ability to bounce back is not what it used to be -- which means that I can't lounge in bed until noon and order pizza and fries and extra-large diet cokes and re-hash the night with my homies. Then nap and shower and resume.

I am old because this Independence Day, the Three Short Drunk People were truly the independent ones. I did not need to worry about them drowning so much; I sent the 7 year old out solo in a kayak from the mainland to a nearby island and she made it without one freak out (by me); I could let them roam the island solo (and pee in the woods without help); they could manage the buffet all by themselves. And God love those small dudes, they made their own breakfast at least once over the weekend.

I am old because there have been too many funerals for my friend's parents lately. They seem to be coming like weddings used to come: every couple of months there's another call with more news and more details and more times and places to gather.

Until recently, the last funeral I attended was my grandmother's when I was 22. I was nervous because it was in a big Catholic church, and my father was an atheist who broke from his parents and 8 Irish siblings because he was a rebel and he read philosophy, and also because I really didn't know too many of the aunts and uncles gathered or really the grandmother who had died and I was pretty sure, going in, that I had no idea what to say. Which was true.

When Aunt Number 5, thanked me for coming from so far (which I hadn't really; she probably had me confused with someone else), I said, "Oh, it's my pleasurrrrre."

Which I knew right away was probably foot-in-the-mouth kinda stuff.

When my mother's mother died a couple years later, there was only a memorial service: no wake, no open casket, no praying. My brother in law sang "Morning Has Broken", funny stories were told, my oldest sister who delivered the only official eulogy seemed like a grown-up to me for the first time. Besides that, all I can remember is crying for about a month.

When my grandfather died of a broken heart a year or so after that, I was holding my 2 week old first-born in my arms in his living room as he breathed one last breath and left. My mother and her brothers were off to the liquor store for the dinner that night -- The Stud in hot pursuit, speeding through country roads trying to catch up to them. Unsuccesfully. So it was just me, B, and my middle sister's husband and my middle sister there; she holding his hand, speaking so calmly and so poetically and sending him off in nothing but love. That's when I knew she was a grown up.

A couple more kids later, mortgage payments out the wazoo, a career started and sold, first gray hairs, and the freakin' PTO, and I am still not sure that I feel like a grown-up. Sometimes, when B talks about third grade, it's not that I feel like I am in third grade, but I remember my BFF Kristin so well and I remember that dude Paul I totally dug who I think was a Mormon and moved away and I remember my mean teacher and the deaf girl who got her hair caught in the blender, and so I think I know what B is feeling. Sometimes, when the awesome babysitter Samantha has boyfriend problems and wonders about getting married, I feel not so much like I am having boyfriend problems or wondering about getting married, but that I know exactly how she is feeling. Which I probably really don't anymore, but the point is, I think that I do.

So when I find myself at wakes for the fathers of my friends, or writing notes to friends when I can't be there, it starts to dawn on me: Ms. Picket, you ARE old, maybe not old enough to know when to go home before the hangover kicks in, but at least old enough to starting seeing a generation one up from you start to pass the torch along.

And Ms. Picket, you are old enough to have solo-kayaking kids who are starting to need you less (which dude, is a trend that shows no slowing down), so let's make, um, a little note to yourself: you, my friend, ARE the grown-up.

15commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Anonymous said...

The only way I console myself is to find comfort that I can both empathize with my children and my parents. In this "middle age," I feel soaked in wisdom.

Floaterie said...

I knew I was a grown up when I had to make the monumental decision whether or not to take my mother off life support.

And yet I still am not old enough to go home before the hangover kicks in. I wonder when that happens?

Well said, Ms.Picket. Well said.

Jen W said...

I love that post. I feel the same way. Most times I really don't feel old but life keeps reminding me that I am.

And, I have to admit, I laughed out loud when I read:

I said, "Oh, it's my pleasurrrrre."

Which I knew right away was probably foot-in-the-mouth kinda stuff.

I find myself saying awkward things like that all the time. Like when you say hi to someone and they say hi back and you say "I'm great thanks" and then realize that they really didn't ask you how you were doing, you just thought that would be the logical flow to the conversation.

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh Ms. Picket you have such a way with words. Sometimes I still catch myself waiting for the girls mother to come feed them already. But oh wait, that's me. You captured that feeling perfectly. As usual.

Kevin McKeever said...

I love it when you get wistful on me. Peace, P, you'll make it.

Anonymous said...

So, this post was totally making me sad until I came to the part about the deaf girl getting her hair caught in the blender. Is that messed up?

Amy said...

I so feel your whole post. I just turned 39 and don't feel any different than I did when I was about 19. Well except kids, marriage, all that stuff, but inherently how much do we change? I know when I am with friends of mine I have had forever I go right back to who I was with them. It's a weird feeling. I'm going with, you're as young as you feel. That's what I'm doing.

Kristin @ Going Country said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin @ Going Country said...

Another beautifully written, thoughtful essay by Ms. Picket.

I'm not very old (no, really, unless you're, like, 16, and then 28 seems ancient) but I live the life of a much older person. And I catch myself sometimes researching IRAs or examining my interest rates and I can't even believe that 5 years ago I was throwing up in parking lots (not a lot, but the point remains). Sadly, I have learned that being a grown-up really kind of sucks sometimes. And now that I don't have a curfew, I can't even imagine WANTING to stay awake past midnight. The 23-year-old me would have been shocked at my lameness.

Aimee said...

I'm off to work...but I'll read your post when I get home. To answer your question...walk...and drink. No car seat ticket and no DUI! Perfect.

Lynsey said...

I don't think we ever truly feel grown up. Really, I don't. Hell I'm coming to terms with the fact that I CAN and AM getting married. I don't feel old enough. And having a seven year old? Nope, not that old either it seems. Your post was kind of sad and kind of fun. Anyway, hope all is well!

Samantha said...

This made me really sad. Mostly because I know you and It makes me sad that you feel old. If it makes you feel better your the coolest Grown-Up ever!

Oh a selfish note, this made me sad because I can feel myself growing up and I don't like it! But at least I never got my hair stuck in a blender so, that makes me feel better!

Mr Lady said...

I can totally relate. Well said, indeed!

Meredith said...

wow...that was a great read. Nope, can't accept that I'm old yet but every once in a while...in the middle of the night...I let my mind go there. not sure how i feel about it yet but it does rock to have kids who can ride their own toys unassisted.

PandaMom said...

I'm totally with you on this. When my first born was about one, I took him to the park. There were a bunch of tweenies there (not quite tweens) trying to be all cool. One of them started swearing and his friend says, "Hey, watch it. There's an adult over there." I clearly remember thinking, "Really, where?" Then the hammer hit me square on the head -- oh my god, he means me!

I think the saying "You're only as old as you feel," is completely wrong. It's "You're only as old as you think." Because, while I may not recover from a night of way too much fun as well as I used to, I'm still up for having way too much fun and maybe a little mischief too, and I hope that never changes.

Don't you go chang'n Ms. P.!