Friday, July 11, 2008

No Man Is An Island

We are leaving in four days for a week in Martha's Vineyard. I know, I know: you are thinking I am totally hanging there with the Clinton's and Diane Sawyer and Carly Simon. That is only half true.

Fifteen years ago, we crossed from the mainland to the Island on the Ferry with two other couples. Six people. We played "dry Marco Polo" (please don't ask) and canasta, drank beer like water, avoided poison ivy, took outdoor showers, slept on the beach, and talked about when (and maybe even how?) to have babies. We rolled into a fancy BYOB restaurant (with our newly issued credit cards) not with a bottle or three of wine, but with a cooler. A cooler on wheels. Filled with cheap beers in cans. The chef, a Deadhead, was our friend within the hour, and, to hell with the real live celebrities to our left, he fed us like kings and queens. We were a teacher, two traders, a marketer, a record company flack, a social worker, and we were fun.

And broke. We took the next summer off to work our skinny asses to the bone.

Another couple moved "back east" and they joined our happy, drunken crew the following, more flush year. They added carpenter/entrepreneur and realtor to our resumes, as well as expert Scrabble players and so a new game was on. We also had a mom and a dad amongst us that year (thanks to the outdoor shower), and a mom-to-be, also known as the Oreo-mauling Jabba the Huttish 8.5 months pregnant beyotch. And yes, that was me.

Flash forward to now: there are twenty in the crew and ten are children and two are babysitters (we got smart about that around year 8). And we are leaving in four days. And though I have done literally nothing to prepare, and the preparations are massive, like moving a house to an island, I can not wait.

It seems weird to me sometimes to leave the Small Town during its high point, when all the boats are in the water, the weather is relatively awesome (even on a sickly hot day, the beach is about ten degrees cooler, in more ways than one), and everyone is "around" a lot more than they are during the ski season. I say "around" because between day camps and yacht clubs, though most of my friends are physically here, it is not like I bump into them as much as I might like. Which is probably a post for another day. When I am feeling more political. And invisible.

The truth is, something changes in me out there. I feel it the moment I get on the ferry. I feel myself fading, dulling, blurring. I feel myself quite literally shaking off the skin of this mom and wife and suburban grown-up that I have become and growing the skin of the person I want more to be. I find myself holding hands with the Stud in the car while Neil Young sings, and breathing in the clean sea air more deeply than I normally do, and noticing how insanely beautiful raw nature can be and raw people too. I find myself saying yes more than no to almost everything (food, a drink, my kids). I find myself trusting the Stud and other dads to take care of the posse when they say they want to jump off a bridge or surf the big waves with the rip tide. I am, within hours of arriving on the island, laughing from the gut without any worry about anything with women I literally cannot live without (and I'm lucky: I get to do this in the Small Town from time to time too, and err, umm, here with you also).

So I go. I go every year because we have (and now since a great majority of our kids can speak, they have) made it so this expensive, planning-intensive, packing-obsessive annual event is a "family" tradition none of us can live without.

And since I am kinda worked up about it and it is Friday and my sister and her family of five are arriving tomorrow (and the house is bomb-hit and fridge-empty), I am going to rely on you to finish this wee essay with your answer to a question, ala my girl Carolyn...Online who used the nifty device earlier today (but more subtlety):

What is your place to go (real or metaphysical) that changes or refreshes you?

13commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

patty said...

My place where I refresh is very easy to describe. In fact it's the same as yours.

Last year's sojourn was bittersweet; that's when I found out my sister's cancer had returned with a vengeance. I will never forget throwing up all over Chappy while waiting for the ferry. It was my only choice after hearing exactly what she was facing (and at the time I knew only half the story).

But the draw of that island is something fierce.

We haven't booked this year's trip yet - but damn it we are gonna. I have faith that the Island will provide. A procrastinator like me will be rewarded; I can feel it in my bones.

Give a sunset or 3 my very best regards.

Anonymous said...

I want to come, too.

I don't know that I have that place yet, but damned if I'm not going to keep looking until I find it. The closest I get is the local wine country - I laugh louder and most of my "rules" seem to get left at the side of the road.

MsPicketToYou said...

dear patty: i know. the island will be there for you, and god willing, your sister too. your comment moved me. i wish i could hug you.

jakellisesmom: wine is good. always.

Carolyn...Online said...

Ok first of all which ferry do I take and which direction do I turn when I disembark because that sounds like a lot of fun.

Second, my cheap ploy worked like a lead balloon for my numbers if you follow me.

And third, my easy place is any get together with my "group" girls -Amsterdam, or the lake, or the beach, or our backyards. Five moms, five dads, 13 kids, way too much poker and mojitos and belly laughing.

MsPicketToYou said...

carolyn -- it kinda doesn't need to be said: but see ya in the backyard some day.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anywhere but here. I love my house and I love being home, but when my husband and I leave the property, even for just a day trip, we relax immediately. There's always so much to be done that we spend all our time at home working or talking about what we need to do next. We have to get in the car and physically distance ourselves from the work.

It doesn't happen often enough.

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. Have a G&T for me.

Amy said...

I totally love this post. It sounds wonderful. I am leaving today to a place that changes me. I am going to Kas, Turkey. It's not the place though, although it's lovely. It changes me because my oldest friend lives there and like all my friends, especially the ones that have been around for over 30 years I am most comfortable in my own skin with them. I love being with her and in the midst of some craziness for me I feel so lucky to be able to go. I am ready to just breathe.

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I have to ask...dry Marco Polo?

Jen W said...

I'm actually heading to the Vineyard in 2 weeks and your post made me even more excited to go! I've never been there before but it will be a nice relaxing weekend with friends- no husbands, no kids.

Open to any recommendations you have on where to eat/drink :)

Samantha said...

My place has gotta be up in Laconia. The boat, the jet ski, all beer (only water in sight the whole time is the undrinkable lake) and always plenty of belly laughs (when Mr. NotSoPerfect eats it off the water ski's).

Oh how i'd love to see the kids and the Stud surfing this year!

Meg said...

Sounds like you've got a great group of friends. Let me know when you guys decide to do it sans the kids and spouses.

My place is San Francisco. When I was 19 my boyfriend and I got jobs and rented a place there. I'm not sure why I came back to the midwest because I am a bohemian hippie at heart.

Manager Mom said...

Mine is also an island, a little further up the coast. It's called Peaks Island, in Maine. When I get my shit together and win the lottery, this is where I am going to move our whole family. Although like your experience, I also find myself ratcheting down into a more soft and thoughtful space.

Good for the soul, but bad for the blogging. Impotent rage is a big source of creative inspiration for me.

*Sigh* we leave THIS FRIDAY, so our ferries will metaphorically cross in the night, somehow.

PandaMom said...

Have a fantastic time, Ms.P. What a great tradition and something special that will be entrenched in your kids' childhood memories.

Our special place is Carrabassett Valley, Maine. Our winter retreat turns into our summer haven in two weeks, and I can't wait to leave the seashore for the mountains. I'm grateful that I am able to have the best of both worlds.

Can't wait to hear all about your vaca! Enjoy!